Saturday, December 23, 2006

I Have All The Respect...

...in the world for science. It does amazing things for humanity and makes our lives easier. What I hate is the mindset it instils.


Carl Jung was a psychiatrist. If you've never read any of his works, you should. By definition, those that practice that discipline are scientists. MD's. He had a theory that we are all in this thing together. ALL OF US. It's called the collective unconscious. I happen to agree. And that's where I break ranks with science and those that are engaged in it. And so did he.

To scientists, it's all black and white. This way or that way. My way or the highway. There is a standard set of protocols that need to be followed. You can't deviate from them because it goes against what they have been taught. And it trickles down into their personal lives. You either do it as I see it or it isn't done at all. People that adhere to that frame of mind are generally shallow, self-absorbed individuals. They see life through the blinders that their profession forces them do so. They have to be detached, otherwise, they couldn't do their work. I have, as I'm sure you have also, dealt with the medical profession and if you question one thing they are doing you will be dealt a glare unlike anything you have ever seen. Do NOT question what said person is doing.

I understand that aspect of it. And I appreciate it. I don't want some blubbering emotional fool trying to repair my ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm, which, if it happened, I probably wouldn't make it to the ER anyways.

My point is this. I guess those that are in the scientific field, especially the medical side of it, have to have that mindset. I feel sorry for them. It has to affect the way they live their "regular" lives. But, maybe not.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a brother who is an anthropologist and has that "my way or the highway" mindset. For him, if it wasn't produced using the scientific method under optimal conditions and then backed up by double-blind studies then it doesn't exist.

There is nothing unknown. All mystery has been ripped out of the world for him. It sucks.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Nope, not true for all of us.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Professional science sometimes brings out extremes.

Doctors would be my first thought.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Just dropping by to say Merry Christmas to you and yours GS.

9:15 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Yep, the first to come to my mind, hammer. And same to you Libby.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Dick said...

I respectfully disagree.

9:28 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

as you are entitled to do so...

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home