Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I Am Once Again Befuckled...

...by the seriousness people ascribe to their blogs. To threaten to take it down because you're having a bad day or you received other than complimentary comments is ludicrous.

If you're having a fucking bad day, then just say so. Go find a friend and talk about it. But to go through all the theatrics of "you're all on notice and I'll shut it down" is just juvenile. You close a blog because you don't feel like writing anymore, or you have an ailing parent or child that will take up more of your time than you can give to blogging. Or it's just tiresome. Blogging isn't like being a writer for a national paper. Their livelihood depends on their producing stuff that is read by millions of people. If Maureen Dowd decided to step aside, you would hear about it. If you take your blog down, you won't.

Why not concentrate on the important things in life and try to enjoy them. I had an 18 minute conversation with son #1 tonight. In those minutes we talked about his future, how he got sooooo old, his workout routine (in which he was surprised that I knew what a Smith machine was), and our schedules for the holidays. I wouldn't trade that for the world. And I would take this blog down tomorrow if it meant I was never able to talk to either of my sons. But I wouldn't take it down because I received some disparaging comments and they pissed me off. Some skins are not as thick as they appear.

This medium is an avenue to express yourself as you see fit. But it is public. So some people won't always kiss your ass. But even if you have 500 hits a day, it's still just 500. There are billions of people in the world that could give a rats ass about what you do. Keep it, your ego and all else in perspective.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come its ok for you to take your blog down for a day or two because you are pissed off but its not ok for someone else to do so? What gives you the right to think that others dont have a right to their FEELINGS,,even if they don't always confer with yours! You are self-righteous!

4:11 AM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

I threaten to take it down all the time. But I like it too much. And there is always something else to bitch about.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Some people don't understand that bad and disparaging comments can be FUN!!!

I'm still waiting for my first piece of hate mail...

6:35 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

You're right, A, I am. But thanks for the reminder.

CV, the day you do will suck nuts.

I'll come comment Kelly and fill up your box with hate.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AGREE WITH ANONYMOUS #1; YOU SHOULD PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH / OR MAYBE YOU SHOULD PREACH WHAT YOU PRACTICE......

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU SEEM TO BE FULL OF HATE: YOU JUST DISGUISE IT WITH GOOD GRAMMAR AND A GOOD USE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE..WTF? I AM SURPRISED NO ONE ELSE HAS PICKED UP ON THAT ONE!

10:04 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Maybe they have, if that were the case. But if you go back through the entire blog I don't think you'll find alot of hate. And I do practice what I preach. I've never said I would close the blog because of a comment someone made. I may take a break from posting from time to time and mention that, but that's a far cry from getting my panties in a wad because of something someone said in a comment. So, are we clear now?

10:10 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Hate mongers, hammer. I swear they are out to frighten me and make me crawl under my rock.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the way people throw the word hate around. Just because you have a negative opinion about something or someone or some group, does not mean you hate them. Stating negative facts about someone does not mean you hate them. I don't much like pickles, but I don't hate them. The anger and rage generated from your simple comments are insane. Who gets mad at someone's blog post? So mad they have to lock in the caps to get the point across! There are some truly fucked up people out there and the fact that they post anonymously shows they are quite aware of how fucked up they are, not to mention embarrassed about their own blog creations. Pussies.

11:45 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

You got me, Jack. I left the "all caps" thing alone because I figured she wouldn't get the implication. No matter. They can hate me if they want. No skin off my back.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, what did you do to those folks? They need to get a grip.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Dick said...

I get brainlock every fucking day of the week, and it seems I waste time on my site.
As far as it coming down, no.
As far as stopping writing? I'll decide that soon enough.
A person has only so much writing in them.
Think about this way...
If you can churn out 500 quality words a day, (about a medium post) you can write a full blown novel in about 250 days.
Two years ago I wouldn't have given this a second thought. Now, I have other words to consider.

Oh, and if you were referring to me, blow me. ;)

11:59 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Who knows Kelly. I think they are minions that feel the need to attack me. Not to worry. I have my jock strap on.

12:14 AM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Big "D", I wasn't referring to you. But if I had been and had to blow you, what would Kelly have to do. Oh, she could cook. Turf and surf on Friday? Yummy!! If you read the post again you'll see that I was referencing someone that wanted to quit because of comments. That was the whole point of the post. Why take a blog down for that? You just said you were getting tired of writing. I would take mine down if that were the case as well. But if you want to shut things down because your titty gets caught in the wrong side of the bra, that's just ego stuff goin on. Now, on to that lobster. And, no, Kelly can't watch.

12:19 AM  
Blogger BobG said...

Hell, if a person can't handle an occasional troll, they have problems. People are too thin-skinned these days.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I never understood why people get all hyped up about negative comments. I'm with you on this. You should blog because you like to write, not because you need validation for your views.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

libby - gs needs validation for his views - trust me

9:19 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Well, Anonymous, I always post your comments, and they hardly validate me. So keep it up, and I'll keep posting them. I'm all for discourse. But if you want to attack, that's fine also. I'm not quite who you think I am. But you have the option to quit reading, which you don't seem to do. And if I'm reading this correctly, Steely Dan warned about doing others dirty work.

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home