Saturday, January 20, 2007

It Is What It Is...

...and we live with one foot in the shower and one in the grave.


The youngest had his wisdom teeth removed yesterday. Benign enough, as things go. But I was a wreck, for the simple fact that I wasn't there. To hold his hand, give him comfort and hope. Doing the Dad thing. He came out of it fine. But dammit, I like being a father and I don't like to see my kids go through pain.

I know some parents that have given up on their kids or have chosen to put their own needs ahead of their children's. They suck, and then some.

I'm not advocating a belief that things are either black or white when it comes to parenting. But I know what I know, and it's the right thing. I'll take the foot in the grave when it comes to my sons.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably hurt you worse than it hurt him but I understand where you're coming from.

3:35 PM  
Blogger hotdrwife said...

My mom is the one that puts her needs in front of her children's needs. Every day I make an effort to not be that way, and it's not hard to do. I'd do anything for my son.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Great Quote!

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear someone who enjoys being a parent. Seems like a lot of people I know have kids as accessories to a lifestyle.

I'm sure your son is just fine, even if you would have preferred to have been there.

4:51 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Only thing I ever wanted to be, QofD. Just didn't work out the way I wanted. But that's water under the bridge. I love them both dearly and would do anything for them. They're old enough now to live their own lives as they see fit. I'm just kinda along for the ride now. But you know how it is. They're always your babies.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will be other teeth, or hurts, and you'll be there.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home