Thursday, January 11, 2007

Take Your Aspirin...

...if for no other reason than it's good for you and might keep your ass from droppin' over dead.


I take one to two 81mg everyday. It helps prevent heart attacks. I should have had one by now, given my history of smoking and drinking. But I take so much other shit that I should be immune.

I have a heart condition called Mitral Valve Prolapse(told ya genetics were fucked). I first became aware of it my freshman year in college. I was trekking through the mountains at Appalachian State with a doobie buzz fueled by Jethro Tull when I shimmied under a fence to get to some farm animals (don't ask). It was for a biology class, I declare to this day.

When I stood up my chest felt like an elephant had sat on it and I almost passed out. Went to an MD a few weeks later and they couldn't find anything. It wasn't until I was 28 when it was diagnosed. It isn't life threatening in the sense that it will kill you dead, but it could if the valve goes into a prolonged state of floppy and you lose consciousness. Most times, when it happens, it brings on a state of hyperventilation, which just compounds it.

I've learned to live with it. No biggy. If I'm driving and it happens, I just pull over and wait for it to pass. Bad part about it is that you have to take antibiotics if you ever go to the dentist because it(the valve) could get infected from all the crap in your mouth. I think that's bullshit, but I've abided by it.

Lewis Grizzard, one of the best comedians ever, died of something similiar. Way too young. No point in this post, as with most. Just take your aspirin. It might save your life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, Lewis Grizzard is sorely missed in my family. Man he was funny.

Secondly, we're all going to die. Someday. So basically, we're hoping that the aspirin will postpone the event? ;)

1:03 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

If it's in your arms, then I'm OK with that.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home