Sunday, August 27, 2006

By Some Standards...


...I'm old, by others, not so much. In my mind I'm about 25. In real time, I'm 53. Quite a disparity. But that's not the point. I wonder about how TV play's such a large part in our lives and those of our kids. I can't even remember when we got our first TV when I was a kid. It was an exciting day, I do remember. Other's had already obtained them, and it was a status symbol in the neighborhood. And nobody asked you over to watch. It was a coveted and almost secretive possesion. I have one, you don't. Once my parents finally got one I was excited. But to this day I remember only two things. Kennedy's assasination and a Perry Como Christmas special.

I can't imagine what kids would do today without the tube. They've grown up with it. And puter's. When I was a youngin' we mixed saltpeter with some other shit and blew them up. We rode bikes to school and elsewhere. Sandlot baseball. We fell in love with our fifth grade teacher. And she was HOT. Ms. Masillo. She actually came out to watch me play a game one day. Hit two homers. The big stick. AHHHH, even then the one-eyed trouser snake was looming.

My point? Don't have one. Never do. Oh well...

2 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

I'm 52 and I remember when we got our first TV. What a day! I actually remember three things we watched : Kemmedy's assasination (I was in 4th grade), the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan (5th grade), and Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon (10th grade).

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching the Honeymooners and then the Red Skelton show.
Today I don't watch television that much, however I do rent movies to watch. At least that way I can control what's on.

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home