Tuesday, September 18, 2007

There Aren't Many Redeeming Qualities...

...about having majored in philosophy. Oh sure, it can get some attention at parties when you make someone look like an ass in an argument, but you end up with a drink in your lap.

Nevertheless, it does come in handy at times. Especially when it comes to logic. There are two types in typical logic; deductive and inductive. I prefer the former, simply because if your premises are true the conclusion is true.

Case in point: see the pic? That's called actinic purpura. It happens when you get older or you have severely sun-damaged skin. I ain't that old yet but I do have damaged skin to the 12 hours a day in the sun, and I started seeing them show up a few months ago. Had no idea why it was happening so I researched it and found out the above. Ain't much you can do about it, because they take about a month to disappear and then if they are severe enough they stain your skin. But I thought it odd that they would suddenly start showing up.

Then when I had that episode of my head blowing up like a pumpkin I also found out that things like predisone can make them worse, which they did. Once they finally cleared up I went and had my BP meds changed and suddenly I didn't get them any longer. Until the other day, when I went back to my former medication because the new one wasn't working. Low and damned behold the first thing I woke up to was one of the purpuras. WTF?? Deduction was called for. Research. One of the side-effects of Norvasc is easy bruising. Now I know why they started when they did and why they are now back.

Back in May I decided that after 30 years I should get a regular GP and find out my critical levels(liver enzymes, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc). About 99.9% came back below normal. Yet I've been sick the majority of time since I paid that first visit. Deduction dictates to stay the hell away from those motherfuckers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GS,
True premises do not of necessity give you true conclusions.
All women are smarter than bob(true)
Bob is a man (true on most days)
Therefore, women are smarter than men. maybe true but distribution is faulty.

Not all gps are incompetent dicks.
Dicks maybe, incompetent... not of necessity

12:02 AM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

I disagree, but maybe I have an undistributed middle hanging around somewhere...

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home