Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I'll Be The First To Admit...

...that when I escaped the amniotic fluid of my mother's womb the attending physician and nurses must have been slugging down some scotch and waters and inadvertently left me there to lay a squallering for a few minutes as my brain slowly succumbed to the deprivation of oxygen.


So it's often been the case that I'm slower than most when it comes to things that I initially see and try to wrap my head around. A local medical university here in the neighborhood, that also happens to be where I go, started a new program today that has something to do with walking a mile-a-day. Now mind you, I'm all for people getting in shape and such. But one would think that if you worked for one of the top five hospitals in the country that health would just be something that entered your head via osmosis. But the news did a story on it and for the love of fatback and collards, these people were all at least 30 pounds overweight. How does that happen when you work around the medical profession? I mean, there are MD's there, no? Wouldn't you think they'd say "Hey honey, your ass is WAY too big." Or maybe, "Hey, Jimbo, when's the last time you saw your penis?" I try to make sure I park far enough away at stores I go to so I have to walk at least 100 yards to get to the entrance. I don't have an ass and my semen stick left me years ago. But they interviewed some woman whose a heart disease survivor(there we go again with that survivor BS) and she said make sure you walk at least 12 minutes a day. 'Cuse me? I burn more calories wiping my ass than I would walking for 12 minutes.

Like I said, I was born somewhat depraved, so my brain is missing some synapses and neurons, and the ones that survived have been systematically destroyed through my own debauchery. But I'm pretty sure I could keep a plane from bouncing off the roof of my truck.

6 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Well, somewhere one time not too many years ago a physician was actually formally reprimanded by the state medical board for telling a patient that she was, in fact, obese. She complained. Go figure. Peoples' hands are tied more and more in the interest of not "offending" anyone. But if the truth hurts, well, it doesn't make it any less true.

That said, those in the medical profession - especially those with the demands of hospital shifts - rarely have the opportunity to try to be healthy themselves. There's just simply no time. Or energy left when you're done. Food? Yeah right. Vending machines. Not likely to have time to heat up a meal...just the way it is.

2:37 AM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

I agree as far as nurses, etc. are concerned, but most of the people I saw in the piece looked to be the office workers. Surely they work an 8-5, so why don't they have the time?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ehhh...office people like to bring donuts in all the time for everybody. And even if you leave at 5, by the time you take the commute home, do the laundry, cook supper, wash dishes, make sure the kids have their baths... it's bedtime.

11:35 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Hells Bells, I worked seven days a week, ten to twelve a day, for 23 years and I never got fat. Granted it was tough work and I didn't eat alot of crap, but it still puzzles me that they work for Duke Med and they let themselves get fat. Look at what they have at their disposal.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Yeah. you're a guy. You don't have estrogen to fight and you don't have as many expectations on you to be all to all people that women have. NC is still part of the south and there are certain social and family expectations that women have to deal with and men have no clue. I happen to be one who bucks the system just a bit and you see the fire I come under for it - including from you. But I do. Other women may not have that opportunity.

Don't forget the part genetics play in size too.

10:22 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Geesh...I've never commented on your weight, nor would I. And the whole point of the post was why a medical institution wouldn't keep their employees healthy. And, as a matter of fact, men do have hormones. May not be estrogen, but just as tough to deal with. And guess what they give PCa patients...estrogen.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home