Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Try To Keep This Blog A Mix...

...of current events, some sex, humor and just random thoughts.


I'm not afraid to tackle complex or sensitive issues. But for the most part I'm not going to go on a diatribe about any specific issue.

I do, however, question things, as do we all. And one thing that puzzles me is how proponents of abortion can feign sorrow at the deaths that occurred at VT. If you mourn a life taken way too early, doesn't this picture qualify? Aristotle talked about potentiality and actuality. A fetus isn't a bunny, it isn't a turtle and it isn't a nuisance. It has the potential to be what it was destined to be and would do so if it were actualized.

I understand the self-serving argument that a woman has the right to do what she wishes with her body, but I've always wondered how they reconcile the fact that the thing growing in their uterus is their body. It's their child's body, living in their house for a short time.

I've never understood why someone that engages in sex, with the knowledge that the outcome might produce a child, so cavalierly discards it. There are so many couples that pang for the chance to adopt. Would it be so hard to carry it to term and give the child a chance to live up to its potential?

I know, I'm a man and I don't understand the ramifications of an unwanted pregnancy. But I am a father, a very proud one, and I know in my heart that the world would be a worse place were my sons not in it. I would have had five kids had my economic and marital situation been different. As it is, I have what I have and I am blessed.

Maybe it's time we start reading Aristotle again. Potential and all that shit, dontcha know.



5 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

The sad thing is that that one looks to be of enough of a stage of development to be maintained in NICU until full-term.

I'm for it staying legal only to keep us from going back to the days of the coathangers because people in desperate situations will still do it one way or another. Better to lose one life than both - but as for a cavalier attitude toward it? Nope. Most women I know who have had them have had nightmares for life because of it.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like so many things in the modern would, I have trouble understanding this too.

1:53 AM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

It is baffling, but Babs has a good point about keeping it legal. At least it's good to know that they have a few pangs of conscience.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Infinitesimal said...

aaaaaany time you are ready to take down that image is cool with me, the PTSD girl.

6:42 AM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Post wouldn't make sense without it.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home