Friday, November 24, 2006

I Have No Greater Thanks...


...to offer than the opportunity I had to spend a few hours with the sons today. I, and their Mammaw, spent two hours laughing, reminiscing and spewing profanity at all sorts of subjects. My heart swells with joy when I get to be around them. These are the fruits of my loins. From a time I remember as if it were yesterday, and yet seems so long ago. They are men now, for all intents and purposes. Gently sliding into the adult world. I still view them when they lay gently in their cribs, as I would go check on them and make sure they were comfortable and safe from harm. I can't do that anymore, but it doesn't mean that part of me is no longer viable. It comes with the territory. They are my responsibility, in an extended sense. I talk to them now as if they are good friends, knowing full well that they carry within both the good and bad genes I've been given. They are both funny and reflective, thoughtfull and outrageous. They are my sons. I often contemplate what they would have been like if they weren't the product of a divorce. I'll never know. They are what they are now because their parents never got ugly. Love you guys more than you will ever know. And thanks for taking the time to come see us.

5 Comments:

Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

What a great post! Really good.

11:41 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Thanks, EofR.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see my kids growing up in front of me. Too quickly in some ways and not quick enough in others.
Like you, I am proud of my kids.

It's good you can look at your sons with pride. Sadly, I don't know of too many people who can have that kind of good relationship with their own children.

2:42 PM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Hammer, I couldn't be prouder of them, not for the things they do so much, although I am very much so, but more for who they turned out to be. They are genuinely good men and very engaging individuals.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Glad you had a good visit with them!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home