Saturday, August 19, 2006

Philo 101...


...an introductory class. This is Bishop Berkeley. He was an idealist. Not in the way we think of it today, but kinda. Here's what he had to say about knowledge...

IT is evident to any one who takes a survey of the objects of human knowledge, that they are either ideas actually imprinted on the senses; or else such as are perceived by attending to the passions and operations of the mind; or lastly, ideas formed by help of memory and imagination - either compounding, dividing, or barely representing those originally perceived in the aforesaid ways.


Yeah. I spent four years of my life studying this shit. And for what? Nothing. Never used it. Tried. Even went to grad school but couldn't stand the pretentiousness of the profs. I'm a homeboy. I like the garage keys type of discussions. Take your self referentially inconsistent ass out of my face. This lady had a post about how she thought people had the perception that she was dumber than dumb. Or, as the X liked to say, "He sure seems DUM". I kid you not.

Anyways, back to the lesson. Basically this dimwitted fag scholar was an epistemologist. He pondered how we know things. He came up with the most fucked-up profound notion that the tit you were suckling last night was not real. It was only in your head. Yep, it wasn't real. Only your head made it real. Which is nice for me, because it was a pillow. But it was a tit in my head, which is all that matters.

So there ya go. Oh, by the way, he's the one that came up with the old question about the tree in the forest. If there's no one around when it falls does it make a sound? I report, you decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home