Friday, August 31, 2007

I'm Not Sure What Brought This To Mind Tonight...

...but Mr. Grizzard was one of the funniest guys I have ever had the pleasure to watch and meet.


He wrote for the Atlanta Constipation(really, I like GA) and some of his stand up was so perfectly timed and relevant that it had me rolling on the floor. In a conversation with him we talked, not about comedy or writing, but about his heart condition, which eventually claimed his life in 1994. He never shied away from the fact he had it and did everything in his power to fight it, but in the end the body does what it does best. When I told him I had something similar to his condition, he did that thing he did about lowering his glasses just a tad bit, cocked his head down, and said "Son, there ain't enough chambers in your heart to be like mine."

It just dawned on me what he meant. His heart, although defective, was so full of life and laughter that he would rely on that until there wasn't anymore room to expand. He did just that. And lord almighty, he never let it slow him down. That somabitch could drink with the best of them.

There are many tapes, books and the like out there if you've never experienced his humor. Give it a go. You won't be disappointed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely loved Grizzard. Outrageously funny, but he could be exquisitely thoughtful and sensitive, too. ("I Haven't Understood Anything Since 1962 and Other Nekkid Truths" and "Don't Forget to Call Your Momma" are two of my favorites.) I'm a native Texan whose grandfather was brought here as an infant in a covered wagon from Georgia(!!) around 1880, and Grizzard's "American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God" line resonates through my entire family. Wouldn't Grizzard have made a great blogger?

3:33 AM  
Blogger GalacticallyStupid said...

Indeed he would have. Most certainly.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home